Terminal Information Publications contain all sorts of detailed information about various “jobs” based out of a yard. This set covers Bayview Yard in Baltimore.
I had never known this type of document had existed until a friend of mine chimped it up and said “ooh, ooh, you gotta see these”. He has the original document, which was spiral bound, but agreed to make me photocopies for the price of the Kinkos run. I’m not sure who originally compiled this information, or why, but luckily they did.
Bayview Yard is not an especially large facility, but it is interesting to see the number of crews based out of it, and what they did. This type of information can be invaluable to someone who is trying to model a location, but is even interesting to those who are merely curious about what a railroad does, and how it goes about it.
The documents contain a short summation of the each job, followed by pertinent information about car handling and track lengths, followed by the detailed ZTS maps for the area that each job will be working on.
- YPBV-02 – Bay View to Canton Yard – This yard job provides industry switching at Canton Yard, and interchange service with the Canton Railroad. (3.8mb PDF)
- YPBV-04 – Bay View to Quad Avenue to West Baltimore – This yard job provides industry switching from Bay View Yard to Quad Avenue (Baltimore Steel Siding) and West Baltimore (Loudon Park). (4.3mb PDF)
- YPBV-06 – Bay View To Sparrows Point – This yard job provides transfer service from Bay View Yard to Patapsco and Back River RR (PBR) and does industry switching on Sparrows Point Branch. (3.3mb PDF)
- YPBV-08, YPBV-38 & YPBV 68 – Bay View Yard Jobs – These assignments provide classification shifting at Bay View south end. Other duties include setting up Bay View shop and interchange service with CSXT on President Street Branch. (5.4mb PDF)
- YPBV-32 – Trailvan Terminal – Crew handles loaded and empty trailvan equipment for loading and unloading of truck trailers and containers. Inbound trains – TV22 and TV26 are spotted for unloading. Crew blocks and makes up outbound TV25. (2.6mb PDF)
- YPBV-34 – Bay View to Dundalk – This yard assignment provides industry switching from Bay View to Dundalk on the Bear Creek Running Track. (3.8mb PDF)
- YPBV-62 – Bay View to Mount Vernon and Cockeysville – Yard assignment that works from Bay View south end via AMTRAK and MTA to service local industries. (3.3mb PDF)
- YPBV-64 – Bay View to Dundalk Marine Terminal – This yard job provides industry switching from Bay View to Dundalk Marine Terminal on the Bear Creek Running Track. (6.6mb PDF)
- WPBV-10 – 6 Day Traveling Shifter – Bay View to Bowie MD – This assignment is a six day traveling road switcher advertised to operate from Bay View south end to Bowie MD over AMTRAK and is also advertised to operate on the Pope’s Creek Secondary at Bowie. (2.8mb PDF)
- WPBV-20 – 5-Day Traveling Shifter – Bay View to Havre De Grace MD – This assignment provides traveling road switcher on AMTRAK’s main line between Bay View south end and Minnick on the Port Road Secondary Track, and also to Prince on AMTRAK Main Line. (5.3mb PDF)
I am still looking for more info about these jobs. I would love to have first hand accounts and photos. If anyone has any of these, please drop me an email.
One thought on “Conrail Terminal Information Publications: Bayview”
Comments are closed.