2016-04-29-19.51.46

I’ve realized that I’m applying Agile software development principles to my layout construction: thinking in terms of sprints, and most important, thinking about always having a “shippable” product. That means sometimes spending a bit more time along the way, but it also means having something in my basement I don’t hate until it’s finished. In that vein, I applied a quick coat of paint to the city of York to make it actually look like something.

The green of the styrofoam was really getting to me, and giving me a hard time envisioning how the various scenes were going to come together. That was quickly fixed with a coat of cheap craft paint.

I used two colors from Michaels: brown and black. Black for roads, pavement, and “cinder” areas and brown for everything else.

It’s far from making it look like a finished layout, but it sure helps.

The city immediately after painting finished. Notice the still wet sheen.
The city immediately after painting finished. Notice the still wet sheen.

 

After the paint dried, I put all the structures back.

It’s definitely starting to look like something, and much better than a sheet of foam!

2016-04-29-19.51.05 2016-04-29-19.51.31 2016-04-29-19.51.46 2016-04-30-10.37.06 2016-04-30-10.37.10 2016-04-30-10.37.15 2016-04-30-10.37.20 2016-04-30-10.37.30 2016-04-30-10.37.37 2016-04-30-10.37.42 2016-04-30-10.37.46 2016-04-30-10.37.49 2016-04-30-10.37.53